Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting to know you...

Hello all! Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy day to get to know me! I started my first business when I was 15 years old. It all started because it was my best friend's sweet 16 and all my girlfiends and I went in on a spa day gift certificate for her. I decided to get a few small items such as candles and lotions and bundle them together with the certificate. Instead of putting it in a gift bag, I pulled apart some silk flowers I had laying around the house and decorated a wicker basket. When we gave her the basket, her mom could not stop raving about how I had decorated the basket and told me I needed to go into business. That got me thinking, if I could throw together some silk flowers on a basket an hour or so before a party, what could I do if I really tried? So, I asked my mother to drive me to the craft store where she helped me pick out flowers and grapevine wreaths for the up coming fall season. When we got home, I set up all my new flowers and wreaths in the basement, turned the TV up and went to work. That night my mom came down to see what I had been doing all day and was amazed by what I had done. The next day we were online looking for craft shows to participate in. "Flowered 4 U" was born; every weekend we were at a different craft fair selling all of my floral creations. I fell in love with creating beautiful wreaths and arangements and knew that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. When I went off to college, I had to put my business on hold. I packed up everything I could fit in my big black suitcase and got on a plane, leaving my home in Boston to move to Farmville, Va. to attend Longwood University. After college, I moved to Richmond, Va where I was able to begin crafting again. I began playing with vinyl and glass etching and fell in love! I started monogramming everything around my house. Once again,  I was told by friends I needed to start my own business. So, here I am on a new adventure in my life. I still love creating floral arrangements and wreaths as well as etching glass and using vinyl, so "Flowered 4 U" was no longer the perfect name. "Yours Truly Designs" stood out when I began my new business venture because I want my customers to know it is all about them! Everything I make can be completely personalized, my products are truly designed for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment